Friday, February 8, 2008

"If I have to hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm gonna "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground..."

10 Songs That Carrie and I Insist Be Played At Our Wedding: A Semi-Regular Feature (...Maybe)

By way of a preamble, to qualify, a song must be (a) mellow enough that you can slow dance to it, or (b) upbeat enough that you can bust a move/rock out/get your freak on (or whatever the hell the kids are calling in these days. My God, when did I get so old??). What this means is that certain songs that I love dearly--"Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Massive Attack's "Angel"--simply won't make the cut. With that said, onto our selections.

Kyle's Picks

1. "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams (or: "Oh, My Sweet Carolina" or "The Hardest Part"--both are also by Adams): I've discussed this elsewhere (see footnote #42 here) and I'll renew my concerns here: much like a PG-13 movie, you probably can't use "fuck" as a verb (or, maybe, at all) during a wedding reception. If that's the case, I'd opt for one of the other two Adams' songs I've listed. But, if I had my druthers, it'd be "Come Pick Me Up," which remains, hands down, the best musical meditation on love gone wrong in existence...

2. The Counting Crows cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City": ...although, in fairness, you could make a pretty convincing case for this song, as well. (Though the tone here, while bleak--see: "I guess everything dies, baby, that's a fact"--is undeniably hopeful, too) Springsteen's version is tremendous, don't get me wrong, but the Crows version has always resonated with me.

3. "Shout" by Otis Day and the Knights*: not to be too blunt about this, but, if you didn't play this at your wedding, I don't officially recognize you as married. That's right, I just (probably) slammed your marriage--deal with it. Granted, I'm not big on dancing (truth be told: I avoid it at all cost), but if there's ever a song to get me out of my chair, it's this one. Please note that's it's vital that you slowly lower yourself to the ground during the "a little bit softer now" section and that you raise yourself up during the "a little bit louder now" section, a la Animal House. (Togas optional.) Remember I said this, as the song is roughly 25 times more fun to dance to if done correctly. You'll thank me later...

* = Technically, Otis Day and the Knights were merely a cinematic construct (they don't actually exist...and the song is lip-synched in Animal House--something I only recently discovered) and the song should be credited to the Isley Brothers, but, screw it, it'll always be Otis Day for me.

4. "Wonderwall" by Oasis (though, not to be repetitive, the haunting Ryan Adams version would probably serve as an adequate substitute): Now...has this song been slightly devalued by me mangling it a dozen or so times while playing Rock Band? In a word: absolutely. Nevertheless, it's still beautiful...and probably my favorite song ever.

5. "Banquet" by Bloc Party: goddamn, I just adore this song. This is obviously one of their more danceable tunes, but if we're looking to slow things down, I'd go with their acoustic version of "Plans" or "This Modern Love" (though that one--in that the refrain is "this modern love...breaks me"--is arguably a little bleak for our wedding day).

Carrie's Picks

6. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson:
because MJ is [Kyle here: "was"?] shit cool and this is his best song to dance to.

7. "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey: Lots of reasons. Carrie says that this song reminds her of "Muldoons with the girls," that she loves it because you have to sing along with it any time it comes on, and because it's an all-around feel good song. (And I'd like to point out that this is probably the only song in music history where the chorus doesn't kick in until the very end of the song. Think about it.)

8. "Delicate" by Damien Rice: our love for Damien Rice is one of the reasons we connected in the first place, so something from DR is essential here. Neither of us would cite this as our favorite track on O ("Volcano" and "Cannonball" are both superior, if a little, uh, intense for the reception), but "Delicate" is probably the sweetest of the bunch.

9. "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon: Because Carrie's a huge Paul Simon fan and loves this video. A great song any way you cut it. (Also, according to Wikipedia--aka "the site that never, ever lies"--Al Gore, somewhat hilariously, used this song on the campaign trail in '92--apparently, there's no truth to the rumor that he also had a copy of "Celebrate" on vinyl on hand in his White House office.

10. "Down Under" by Men at Work: because this song is very Australian, and Australia is where we: met up after Korea, lived together for the first time, and got engaged. Good times.

2 comments:

RT Murphy said...

First of all, I must say that this wedding blog is a great idea. Especially for those of us who will be out of the jurisdiction when the big day goes down. Sigh.

On Kyle's Picks:
1) While I continue to not see what you do in Ryan Adams I can hardly say I'm surprised that this is #1. As far as F bombs go, I'm sure you could take the time to make a slightly censored version (i.e. the David Letterman one), if it's that important to you.

3)Classic pick! Everyone loves getting into this, and the dancing is not terribly hard to figure out. Alternately, maybe you could screen a video of that segment or something to make sure people get it.

4) It's pretty much a telling song for your generation, a little overdone but at least you didn't go with... I dunno, 'Wonderful Tonight' by Clapton.

Crap, now Fortune will force me to play that at my wedding. DANG YOU, WASKO. DANNNNG YOUUUU.

5) Bloc Party is key to making sure people know you had a choice in the music. All of those suggestions sound marvy.

Carrie's Picks:

6) If you play 'Thriller' you pretty much have to have someone there who can quickly choreograph the dance. That is a photo opp you do not want to miss.

7) I'm more of a 'Any Way You Want It' fan for Journey, especially considering the wedding theme... but this is good too. Promise you will cut it off abruptly about 3 minutes into the song and shut off the lights for like 6 seconds when someone enters the room.

8) I also love Damien Rice and am somewhat surprised that you're not going to go with say 'Amie'. That said the whole album is gold and 'Delicate' is a pretty good unsung hero. However, my heart would make me choose 'I Remember' in pretty much all scenarios. So romantic it hurts

9) This is a fantastic choice. There is nothing more to say. My question is which one of you gets to be Chevy Chase.

10) Aww... I would also advise checking out Colin Hay's solo career as he might have something that is also nice. I wish 'Overkill' was suitable but what can you do.

I was kind of surprised to see no Cranberries. Ms. O'Riordan had plenty of nice slower songs. I also half-expected to see some Stars or BSS.

Anonymous said...

Nice story you got here. It would be great to read more about this theme. Thank you for giving this info.
Joan Stepsen
Cyprus call girls